History

 

ISU San Mateo on its 34thyear of existence

Betsie Manaligod-dela Cruz

Rosalie Cabico-Leal 

        The Isabela State University – San Mateo campus proudly stands at its new location after 20 years of stay at the Barangay Hall. San Mateo campus stands on a ground that was once an agricultural land owned by generous Col. Andres D. Damian. Although it is not big campus as its mother campus, it houses a family of teachers and students, who have brilliant minds and creative hands in achieving excellence in Instruction, production, research and extension.

         ISU San Mateo campus has gone long in its effort to work for the betterment of the students. At 34thyear ISU San Mateo remains steadfast in its mission of giving quality education.

         It is a fact that ISU – San Mateo has never been spared of problems in its commitments to uphold quality education and instruction including services. However, it has surpassed the test of time with its capacity for survival that even in the midst of constant change of societal demands and challenges; it has proven its competence as proven by the result of the recent celebration of its silver founding anniversary.

        ISU San Mateo remains open to more complex challenges in sustaining high standard education.

The San Mateo Vocational and Industrial School which started in 1976 had a two-year Technical College Department which consequently became the nucleus of the Isabela State University San Mateo Campus in pursuant of Section 15 of Presidential Decree 1434.

         In P.D. 1434, President Ferdinand E. Marcos established the Isabela State University (ISU), the first in Region 02, on June 10, 1978 by merging the Cagayan Valley Institute of Technology (CVIT) atCabagan, the Isabela tate College of Agriculture (ISCA) at Echague and the absorption of college courses from the Isabela School of Arts and Trades (ISAT) in Ilagan, Roxas Memorial Agriculture and Industrial School (RMAIS) in Roxas and San Mateo Vocational and Industrial School (SMVIS) in San Mateo and Jones Rural School, Jones, Isabela. 

         Upon the creation of ISU-San Mateo, Mr. Francisco Juan, the SMVIS School Administrator, was appointed as the Officer-in-Charge followed by Prof. Sotero G. Martin as the first appointed Campus Head (1979-1982); Prof. Avelina L. Domingo, Chairman (1982-1987); Dr. Jose C. Domingo, Chairman (June 1987-1996); Dr. Avelina L. Domingo (1996-May 31, 2002); Prof. Quirino G. Lucas, Campus Executive Director (June 1, 2002-August 2005); Dr. Dr. Reynaldo L. Raymundo, Campus Executive Director (August 2005 – December 3, 2008); Prof. Dalmacio G. Leaño – December 4, 2008 – June 30, 2008; and Dr. Leon M. Gonzales, Campus Administrator (July 2008 to present).

         In 1980 through the generosity of Barangay Capt. Hardy B. Lintao, the University occupied temporarily the Mother Craft Center and the Pre-Fab Building of Brgy. San Andres as its Library and classrooms respectively until such time that the University was transferred to a portion of lot number 2085- F TCT 141877 with an area of 1.2 hectares located at National Highway San Andres, San Mateo,Isabela in 1999. The lot was donated by the lateCol. Andres D. Damianthrough the initiative of the administration of Dr. Avelina L. Domingo 

         At present, the University offers academic courses namely: Bachelor of Science in Industrial Education (Degree and Ladderized) with major fields of specialization in Garments Technology, Food Technology, Electrical Technology, Applied Electronics Technology, Drafting Technology, Foods Technology, Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (Degree and Ladderized), Bachelor of Science in Agriculture ( First two-years), Bachelor of Arts major in Political Science, Bachelor in Secondary Education, two-Year courses like Computer Secretarial and Computer Programming.

         The University’s management is peopled by effective and efficient faculty and staff. Work forces include 1 Professor V, 2 Associate Professor V, 1 Associate Professor II, 2 Assistant Professor IV, 1 Assistant Professor III, 1 Assistant Professor I, 3 Instructor I, 7 Contractual Instructor I, 1 Part-Time Instructor, 3 Support Staff members, 1 utility worker, and 3 security guards. 

         From its humble beginnings, the growth of ISU-San Mateo Campus has been phenomenal. It has provided quality education to students not only from San Mateo but also from nearby towns like Ramon, Cabatuan, Aurora, San Manuel, Quezon, and other towns in Mountain province and Kalinga. It is hoped that it will continuously bring to life the dreams of our people to be educated and be educated well.

HUMBLE BEGINNING

          Isabela State University – Echague Campus (Main Campus) started with 4 – room academic building and home economics building in compliance of the Compulsary Education  Act (American Regime - December 1918)

It is a farm school – the Echague Farm School 

As enrolment increases more infrastructure were gradually constructed in 1935

1928 – the farm school converted into a rural high school 

1946 – the farm school was named Isabela Agricultural High School

1952 – It was renamed Rural High School 

1960 – again it was renamed Echague Agricultural and Forestry School

1963 – earned the status of an agricultural school in the region

LEGAL BASES 

                House Bill 2866 (Seventh Congress of the Philippines ) filed the conversion of EchagueAgricultural and Forestry School into a state college. The bill was approved by the Lower House or April 17, 1972 and passed by the Senate on May 30, 1972

     PD 1434 – established the Isabela State University, the first in Region 02, on June 10, 1978 by merging Cagayan Valley Institute of Technology (CVIT) at Cabagan, the Isabela tate College of Agriculture (ISCA) at Echague and the absorption of college courses from the Isabela School of Arts and Trades (ISAT) in Ilagan, Roxas Memorial Agriculture and Industrial School (RMAIS) inRoxas and San Mateo Vocational and Industrial School (SMVIS) in San Mateo and Jones Rural School, Jones, Isabela.

     PD 1437 complemented PD 1434 – Echague Campus is the seat of the administration

     CHED Memorandum Order No. 18 s 1999 – integration of CHED Supervised Institution 

-     the first to be integrated was Cauayan Polytechnic College

-     in the 2002 three CIS’s integrated into the system namely; Delfin Albano Memorial Institute in San Mariano; Roxas Memorial and Industrial High School (RMAIS) with ISU RoxasCampus and Angdanan Agro-Industrial College (AAIC).

-     SantiagoCampus – New Campus

At present there are ten campuses of Isabela State University

ISU SAN MATEO CAMPUS

Administrators

Mr. Francisco Juan – appointed as the OIC upon the creation of ISU San Mateo Campus 

Prof. Sotero G. Martin  - First appointed Head (1979 – 1982)

Dr. Avelina L. Domingo – Chairman (1982 – 1987) 

Dr. Jose C. Domingo – Chairman (June 1987 – 1996)

Dr. Avelina L. Domingo – Campus Executive Director (1996 May 31, 2002)

Prof. Quirino G. Lucas -  Campus Executive Director (June 1, 2003 to August 2005)

Dr. Dr. Reynaldo L. Raymundo, Campus Executive Director (August 2005 –  December3, 2008)

Prof. Dalmacio G. Leaño – Campus Administrator (December 4, 2008 – June 30, 2008)

Dr. Leon M. Gonzales, Campus Administrator (July 2008 to present).

  • 1980 - San Mateo campus occupied temporarily the Mother Craft Center and the Pre-FabBuilding of Brgy. San Andres through the generosity of Brgy. Capt. Hardy B. Lintao as its library and classroom respectively
  • 1999 – the late Col. Andres D. Damian donated a portion of lot number 2085 - FTCT 141877 with an area of 1.2 hectares located at National Highway San Andres San Mateo, Isabela through the initiative of the administration of Dr. Avelina L. Domingo
  • February 1999 – groundbreaking of the new site and a 2.5 M building was established on its new site to house students for S.Y. 2001 – 2002

     At present, the University offers academic courses namely: Bachelor of Science in Industrial Education (Degree and Ladderized) with major fields of specialization in Garments Technology, Food Technology, Electrical Technology, Applied Electronics Technology, Drafting Technology, Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor in Secondary Education, two-Year courses like Computer Secretarial and Computer Programming.

     The University’s management is peopled by effective and efficient faculty and staff. Work forces include 1 Professor V, 2 Associate Professor IV, 3 Assistant Professor IV, 1 Assistant Professor II, 5 Instructor I, 7 Contractual Instructor I, 4 Support Staff members, 1 university physician, 1 dentist, 1 driver, 1 utility worker, and 3 security guards.

PRESENT TIMES

     The ISU San Mateo campus under the previous and present administrations of Prof. Sotero G. Martin as the first appointed Campus Head (1979-1982); Prof. Avelina L. Domingo, Chairman (1982-1987); Dr. Jose C. Domingo, Chairman (June 1987-1996); Dr. Avelina L. Domingo (1996-May 31, 2002); Prof. Quirino G. Lucas, Campus Executive Director (June 1, 2002-August 2005); Dr. Dr. Reynaldo L. Raymundo, Campus Executive Director (August 2005 – December 3, 2008); Prof.Dalmacio G. Leaño – December 4, 2008 – June 30, 2008; and Dr. Leon M. Gonzales, Campus Administrator (July 2008 to present) pursue every avenue for the welfare and development of the University. To realize this, it forges stronger linkages with the local government, non-governmental organizations and industry sector. The alumni of the school are also reliable sources of assistance.

     The University worked with former Governor, Faustino S. Dy, Jr. for the two-classroom building which at present is being occupied by Garments Technology and Drafting Technology students. Other projects courtesy of Hon. Faustino G. Dy, III, Congressman of the 3rdDistrict were the painting of school buildings, donation of 150 bags of cement and corrugated bars for the construction of pathways. Just recently, Cong. Dy approves 250,000 - 300,000 Php to purchase one (1) service vehicle. The concreting of a multi-purpose pavement at the same time utilized as Basketball court at the back of ISU grounds was funded by Department of Agriculture and Local Government thru the initiative of Hon. Roberto C. Agcaoili, Sr., the Municipal Mayor. Tangible projects like construction of pavement, pathways and Multi-Purpose Pergola was funded by Governor Maria Gracia Cielo Padaca, Hon. Ramon M. Reyes, the Vice Governor of Isabela and Mayor Roberto C. Agcaoili respectively. Other facilities that help respond to students’ clamor and thirst for quality education include fully air-conditioned library with a growing number of collection, (two) 2 fully air-conditioned computer laboratories with upgraded computers, concreted pathway, soon to-finish covered walk, and classroom are with ceilings.

    Moreover, new infrastructures like two - storey academic building, Multi-Purpose Hall, PTCA Building and Cong. Napoleon S. Dy classroom are in its near completion. The realization of the said projects was funded by the provincial government under the leadership of Gov. Faustino G. Dy and funds of Cong. Napoleon S. Dy respectively.

     The campus offers several scholarships and assistance programs to deserving students to cultivate academic excellence and facilities access to quality education. Scholarship Programs include Entrance Scholarship, University Scholarship, College Scholarship, Athletic Scholarship, Student Publication Scholarship, Socio-Cultural Scholarship, Faculty and Employee Dependents’ Assistantship, Cultural Minority Scholarship, SSC/SBO Scholarship, Agriculture related Courses and Forestry Scholarship, National Government Scholarship/Study Grants (Bojie Rodito Opportunities for Education, Vice President Binay, Cong. Napoleon S. Dy, LPGMA, OWWA), Private Grants, Student Assistantship, BODA/BOA/SK Scholarship and Municipal Scholar.

     The ISU’s years of quality education at a lower cost bears fruits as its graduates passed various board examination.

     As shining pillar of excellence ISU San Mateo prepares its students to face the “real world” through its on-the-job training programs, which are reinforced by forging tie-ups with reputable companies.

     Aware of the needs of the “Iskolar ng Bayan” to be exposed to diverse activities inside and outside the campus, they are encouraged to showcase their beauty, talents and skills in different competitions. These largely contribute to their development and personal growths. Needless to say, these talented students’ have contributed their humble share in putting San Mateo considerably prominent on the map of Isabela.

     ISU San Mateo Literary contestants in Essay Writing, “Pagsulat ng Sanaysay”, Story Telling and quiz bowl team is a formidable champion in the Inter University Sports and Socio-cultural Meet beating all other ISU campuses making San Mateo campus represent ISU systems in regional and national competitions. The ISU San Mateo Buffleheads Pep Squad is the undefeated two-time champion in the ISU System cheerleading competition, Champion during the 32ndRegional Milo Marathon Cheerdance Competition last September 28, 2008; Champion during the 61stFounding Anniversary Cheerdance competition of San Mateo, Isabela.

     Moreover, they actively participate in community-based activities, like those Alay LakadProjects, and extension programs, which include skills and livelihood trainings of Barangay folks in Electronics Technology, Electrical Technology, Foods technology, Garments Technology and Computer hands-on. Included also in its commitment to the community are feeding programs, and tree planting. ISU San Mateo also genuinely supports RA 9003 otherwise known as Ecological Solid Waste Management.

     From its humble beginnings, the growth of ISU-San Mateo Campus has been phenomenal. It has provided quality education to students not only from San Mateo but also from nearby towns like Ramon, Cabatuan, Aurora, San Manuel, Quezon, and other towns in Mountain province and Kalinga. It is hoped that it will continuously bring to life the dreams of our people to be educated and be educated well.

 

jackpotcity