Welcome to College of Arts and Sciences
The College OfArts and Sciences was established in accordance with Presidential Decree No. 1434 issued on June 10, 1978, stipulating among others the establishment of the Isabela State university, which shall provide quality education in the arts, sciences, as well as, in the technological and professional filds not only in Isabela but also in Region 02 as a whole.
From its inconspicuous beginning in 1980, the offie of the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences was in the University Center, Echague Campus, where the dean use to supervise six academic departments, namely: a.) Languages Department, b.) Philosophical Sciences Department, c.) Behavioral Sciences Department, d.) Life Sciences Department, e.) math Physics and Statistics Departmen5t, and f.) Chemistry Department. The dean of the college used to report directly to the Provost of Echague (Main) Campus.
However, in 1982, the College of Arts and Sciences was formally organized. The dean and the chairmen of the various departments were formally designated by the university president. In that year, it began offering programs namely: Bachelor of Science in Biology, Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, Bachelor ofArts in English and Psychology, Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and Bachelor of Science in Physics. Simultaneously, the college started to provide a common general education background for all prospective undergraduate students regardless of their professional courses.
In its earnest desire to meet suffiiently the growing demands particularly the needs of the students pursuing higher education, in Region 02, the college of Arts and Sciences realized its plans and achieved its goals to contribute substantially to the solution of many of the country’s socio-economic problems. At present, the college has four departments namely: Languages, Social Sciences, Biological sciences and mathematics and Physical Sciences. It is tasked to provide all students in the university with the basic knowledge in humanities, arts, and natural and social sciences, thereby producing professionals in the filds of Biology, mathematics, English and Psychology.
Being aware of the higher learning that an institution has, aside from its obligations to society of preserving and disseminating the intellectual heritage of mankind, and also the duty of widening the horizons of knowledge, the College of Arts and Sciences in 1994 and 1998 had successfully hurdled the fist and second level of Accreditation in all different degree programs, namely: Bachelor of Arts, major in English and Psychology, bachelor of Science in Biology and Bachelor of Science in Mathematics, respectively.
Cognizant to the role of the Association ofAccredited College and Universities of the Philippines (AACUP) in upgrading quality education in the tertiary level, the college ofArts and Sciences is looking forward to satisfy the criteria and standards stipulated in the AACUP Evaluation Instrument.
Organizational Chart || Faculty Profiles
1. Provide quality education in the arts and sciences essential towards transformation of students’
mental, social, spiritual and emotional growth, thereby developing them into well-rounded individuals.
2. Develop students into productive citizens as propelled by their commitment to improve the economic
and social well-being of the community.
3. Produce graduates who are locally and globally competitive in their respective fields.
4. Cultivate and sharpen students’ capabilities and potentials, making them responsive to the needs
of the society.
THE BACHELOR OF ARTS IN ENGLISH PROGRAM
The program aims to produce graduates who are proficient in communication, use fundamental research methods and skills as a way of thinking and solving problems and who appreciate the contributions of Language and Literature to the enhancement of the people’s quality of life in the community.
Specifically, graduates of AB English program must:
1. Possess a comprehensive knowledge and global perspective in the fields of Language and Literature and relate them to other disciplines.
2. Exhibit proficiency in oral and written communication to enable him to evaluate opinions, make decisions, and apply critical reasoning on the bases of independent thought and informed judgment.
3. Utilize effectively and accurately information and communication technologies.
4. Manifest an understanding of the world and people through the study of diverse culture reflected in literary pieces.
5. Conduct researches in the fields of Language and Literature.
6. Appreciate the contributions of Language and Literature to the enhancement of the people’s quality of life in the community.
An AB English graduate can work as an educator researcher, sales representative, journalist (Broadcast, Print) in business, industry, or the government.
BACHELOR OF ARTS IN MASS COMMUNICATION PROGRAM
The AB Mass Communication program seeks to develop the skills and knowledge required in the field of Mass Communication, gain perspective on ethics and legal aspects of mass communication and to tackle the intricate and dynamic world of information.
Specifically, graduates of AB Mass Communication program must:
1. Acquire an ample knowledge and global perspective in the field of Mass Communication and relate them to other disciplines.
2. Operate and utilize efficiently and accurately the different media in mass communication for responsible reportage.
3. Develop a deeper understanding of a communicator’s responsibility towards the community, country and the whole world.
4. Accomplish researches in the fields of Mass Communication.
5. Value the contributions of Mass Communication to the development of the people’s quality of life in the community.
6. Learn and be familiar with the different employment opportunities in the broadcast industry and print industry.
An AB Mass Communication graduate can be employed in government and private offices, broadcast stations (TV and Radio), public relations offices, print media companies, he/she can also become a researcher and political analyst. Besides, they can be employed in college and universities where their expertise is needed once they pass the LET and have at least 18 units of Educational subjects.
BACHELOR OF ARTS IN POLITICAL SCIENCE
The Political Science Program aims to produce graduates imbued with needed knowledge, skills and attitudes for future work in both public and private sector, in political organizations, judicial offices, government offices, law enforcement, in teaching, research and social development work, and entry into the Bachelor of Laws.
Specifically, graduates of AB Political Science program must:
a. Possess knowledge of political science, its various sub-disciplines, major themes, and analytical techniques as well as basic analytical techniques from other relevant discipline.
b. Conduct scholarly inquiries using established quantitative and qualitative methods, guided by a theory based or conceptual framework.
c. Produce written and oral reports on political and policy analysis and convey it using information and communication technologies.
d. Capable to produce plan of actions to resolve political and policy issues through independent thought and informed judgment.
e. Manifest good human relation by respecting and understanding the political, social, spiritual and economic preferences of fellowmen.
f. Possess positive Filipino values and attitudes to bring forth desired political changes.
Graduates of the program could go into public and private sector work to engage in teaching, research, social development work, risk analysis, law enforcement, judicial offices, political organizations, call center agent, radio and television political commentator, political writer, and grantsmanship.
BACHELOR OF ARTS IN PSYCHOLOGY
Graduates of the Bachelor of Science in Psychology are expecetd to:
- Demonstrate an understanding on the nature and use of psychological tests;
- Apply the principles of proper administration, checking and interpretation of psychometric tests;
- Exhibit understanding and use of basic skills and approches in counselling required to situations;
- Conduct research using the knowledge and skills in psychology and communicate research results to both specialists and non-specialists audiences;
- Comprehend, evaluate and utiize new information related to psychology;
- Understand and apply psychologival principles and theories to real life stituations;
- Analyze nd correctly apply the ethical considerations of psychology in various contexts, and;
- Integrate psychological knowledge in the holistic development of the person.
An AB Psychology graduate can work as psychologist, teacher, guidance counselor, psychometrician, researcher, human resource personnel or any position in the government and private organization which is related in the field of Psychology.
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN CRIMINOLOGY
The Criminology shall provide the community with professionally competent and morally upright graduates who can deliver efficient and effective services in crime prevention, crime detection and investigation, law enforcement, custody and rehabilitation of offenders and conduct criminological research on the nature and causes of crime.
Specifically, graduate of BS Criminology program must:
a. Manifest the value of leadership, integrity, accountability and responsibility while serving their fellowmen, community and country.
b. Be ready to career in crime prevention, law enforcement, scientific crime detection and correctional administration.
c. Conduct research and inquiry on the nature, causes, treatment of punishment of criminal behaviour and how criminal justice agencies respond to crime, criminal and victims.
d. Implement criminal law, special laws, forensic laws and other similar laws.
e. Be equipped with fundamental of criminal investigation.
f. Be knowledgeable in the fields of Criminalistics such as: Police Photography, Dactyloscopy, Questioned Documents Examination, Polygraphy, Ballistics, Forensic Science and Toxicology.
A graduate of B.S. Criminology is prepared for careers in crime prevention, law
enforcement, scientific crime detection, and correctional administration.
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN MATHEMATICS
The program seeks to produce resourceful, intelligent, and responsible graduates who appreciate the contribution of mathematics to the enhancement of the world we live in and to the improvement of the people’s quality of life.
Specifically, the program aims to:
a. Equip students with broad knowledge and training in pure mathematics;
b. Equip future professionals with abilities needed to make practical applications of theoretical knowledge and develop entry level occupational proficiency in clusters of jobs in teaching, research, and other math-related professions; and
c. Prepare students for advanced graduate work in mathematics and other math-related studies.
A BS Mathematics graduate can work either as an educator, researcher, or any position in business, industry, or the government.
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN BIOLOGY
The BS Biology program seeks to produce resourceful, intelligent and responsible graduates who appreciate the contribution of biology to the enhancement of the world we live in and to the improvement of the people’s quality of life.
Specifically, the program aims to:
a) equip students with broad knowledge and training in pure biology;
b) equip future professionals with abilities needed to make practical applications of theoretical knowledge and develop entry level occupational proficiency in clusters of jobs in teaching, research and laboratory work, biotechnology, and other biology related professions; and
c) prepare students for advanced graduate work in biology and other biology -related studies.
A BS Biology graduate can work either as an educator, researcher, laboratory specialist, environmental manager, biotechnologist, museum curator, or consultant/expert in biology-related programs in business, industry, or government agencies.
- Psychological Society
- Young Parliamentarians Society (YPS)
- Criminology Society
- ISU-Mathematics Society (ISU-MATHSOC)
- ISU-Biological Society (ISU-BIOSOC)
- Mass Communications Society
Address:CAS Bldg., Echague, Isabela